If you feel that you would benefit from referral to the GIC, you should first speak to your GP.

They will ask you some questions and, if they are satisfied that it’s appropriate for you to receive specialist gender care, they will refer you on to your local community mental health team (CMHT).

You will probably see a psychologist or psychiatrist at the CMHT for an assessment to make sure you are able to determine whether changing your gender is right for you.  If you have any mental health problems which might be affecting your judgement you should be given the opportunity to discuss these further with a professional.

After you have seen the clinician at the CMHT, they will refer you to the GIC.

Unfortunately, we cannot accept referrals for people under 18 years. Such referrals should be sent to the Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust.

Share and Enjoy:
  • Print
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Blogplay
Download pdf of this page